Sunday, January 14, 2007

Little House on the Prairie

have been reading the book Little House on the Prairie, by Laura Ingalls Wilder. I love the book so much, so does Yuan. The Ingalls family lived a life I so admire, or even envy, which I see as REAL life. I always think that real life makes people happy. In real life, I would not be sad when thinking my career is going to an end. I would not care about how beautiful or ugly I look. And I will feel more like part of Nature, like the trees, winds, or clouds...

I was even moved when Charles made a rocking chair for his wife with slender willows. What a wonderful chair that was, and full of love and warmth. It always touches my heart when a woman is honored. I think the real civilization is that when women are honored and children are loved and taken good care of, as an equal human - no one would feel so deeply as I do about it.

Yuan said her mouth almost watered when they were eating toasted prairie hens and stewed jack rabbits. She is excited she has known all the details of making a log house and stout doors.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Hong,
It was good to hear from you again. We read the whole Little House in the Prairie book series too. We loved it. I'm glad you are reading this with your daughter. They made a TV series here about it. Not as good as the books but always fun to watch.. very family oreiented. I think they had a very interesting life.. but I think I'm glad I didn't live back then. I like indoor plumbing and heating.. hehehe... I think ... if I had to live back then.. I would be dead too early, because I'm not that strong.
Yes, a good society does honor women... the mother if life... and not to do so is just stupid. You are so right. Vallerie